Aydin Senkut of Felicis Ventures joins Nick to discuss Iconic Companies, Frontier Markets & a Truly Founder Centric Approach. In this episode, we cover:
- Backstory / Path to tech in SF?
- Prior to founding Felicis Ventures, you were a Product Manager at Google, launching their first 10 international sites, its first online search licensing products, and its first Safe Search…talk about what lead to your transition to investing.
- What’s the story behind founding Felicis Ventures?
- Talk about the investment focus and approach of your firm.
- It states on the firms website that you back founders looking to open up frontier markets, such as longevity and engineered foods, and reinvent critical markets such as mental health and insurance….what are some of the success factors you've observed in startups trying to create or reinvent markets.
- You’ve invested in many iconic companies that have revolutionized their industry such as Shopify, Fitbit and CreditKarma, when investing at early stages, how do you differentiate between the ideas or trends that are going to have this long term affect from the ones that may not be so successful?
- Felicis states on the site that "The difference between a good product and a great product is one incalculably better than the current alternative. Successful founders have laser sharp focus on true product differentiation, intelligent time and capital allocation" Help us understand what seperates good product from great product.
- Differences in investing in domestic vs. international startups?
- You do this survey every year of your portfolio companies... can you talk about the key insights you've learned from doing that?
To listen more, please visit http://fullratchet.net/podcast-episodes/
for all of our other episodes.
Also, follow us on twitter @TheFullRatchet for updates and more information.