Steve Glickman of Develop Advisors joins Nick to discuss Opportunity Zones --- A Fit for VC?. In this episode, we cover:
- Quick overview of your background prior to Develop Advisors?
- Walk us through the origin story of EIG?
- You are also the founder & CEO of Develop Advisors - tell us more about the work you do with fund managers.
- Let's talk about OZ's -- and we'll start with the basics -- Give us an overview of the $6T OZ program.
- Incentives aside from tax benefits?
- Which asset classes are best suited to invest in OZs?
- How is an Opportunity Zone defined? What credentials make a community an OZ?
- As governors change -- are these OZs going to change with different administrations?
- Is the expectation that entrepreneurs will actually relocate to these areas for the HQ of their business? It seems like that is a bit of a stretch.
- Are there statistics on the number and amount of private capital funds that have been raised with a mandate to invest in OZs?
- In your estimation, what are some risks factors and/or potential unintended consequences that we should be mindful of?
- Part of my hesitation around this topic and why I've waited to cover it until I could get you specifically on the program, is because with any new gov't incentive program or over-hyped area in general (like we saw with crypto last year), it attracts a lot of "opportunists" or even "charlatans" looking to capitalize on something that's new and not well understood. How do we avoid and discourage "bad actors" from taking advantage of either LPs or Entrepreneurs?
- One of the services that Develop Advisor's provides is the OZI or Opportunity Zone Index. What is this attempting to measure?
- What do you say to the pundits that claim the majority of the benefits will accrue to the financial services investors and not to the distressed communities?
To listen more, please visit http://fullratchet.net/podcast-episodes/ for all of our other episodes.
Also, follow us on twitter @TheFullRatchet for updates and more information.