Elizabeth Yin of Hustle Fund joins Nick on a special Crisis Coverage installment to discuss Investing after 1 Zoom Meeting, 2nd & 3rd Order Effects of the Virus, and Why "Market Pull" is Critical. In this episode, we cover:
- Tell us a bit about your background and path to venture
- Why'd you leave 500 and start Hustle Fund?
- What is the thesis at Hustle Fund?
- From a macro standpoint, how do you think the pandemic effects the venture landscape?
- What were some trends you were following, prior to the virus, that have accelerated in this environment?
- What are some that have regressed?
- What are some non-obvious sectors or business types that you're bullish on?
- Due to maybe second and third order effects of the virus, what are some sectors you are bearish on?
- You’ve said that you can make a decision after one Zoom conversation in 48 hours. Without much time to conduct diligence on the company and its founders, how are you able to get conviction so quickly?
- Many of us are trying to figure out how to invest w/o meeting founders in-person... what are some of the key things you’re listening that help you make a quick decision w/o having met the founder?
- NFX's launched a new application process where startups can apply for funding, give up 15% equity and receive a funding decision in 9 days? What are your thoughts?
- You've stated that long term success for you is in changing the way that early stage VCs invest and think about investing. What's wrong w/ early stage investing and how do you see it changing over the next decade?
- I appreciate your contrarian belief that the best startups will be founded outside the Bay Area. Why do you think this is the case?
- Are there specific areas/geos you're focused on?
- I want to talk about this concept of "market pull"... Can you define “market pull” for the listeners and how you assess whether a startup has it or not?
- What advice do you have for investors/fund managers as we proceed amidst a very uncertain future?
To listen more, please visit http://fullratchet.net/podcast-episodes/ for all of our other episodes.
Also, follow us on twitter @TheFullRatchet for updates and more information.