Taranvir Johal & Salman Elmi of Tavolo and Top Figure join Nick to discuss Racism in Venture -- A White, Male VC Threatens Black & Brown Founders. In this episode, we cover:
- Quick personal backstory and origin story for Tavolo -- Taranvir.
- Quick personal backstory and origin story for Top Figure -- Salman.
- So, there was an incident last week in Minneapolis where venture capitalist, Tom Austin (who has since been fired by F2 Group), confronted you in your building's exercise room. You guys captured a video of the incident and it begins with w/ Mr. Austin pointing his mobile phone camera back and forth at the three members of your team -- as he confronted you. Walk us through what happened before and after the video recording.
- Very, very reminiscent of the Amy Cooper video from NYC's Central Park -- shocking similarities between your situation and the Cooper situation. It's nothing short of tragic. What were you feeling as this was happening to you?
- What has it been like growing up in a society that is not structured to promote your success?
- Tell us about your experience as black and brown founders in the startup world?
- How does what happened change the way you go about business in the future?
- Thoughts on the murder of George Floyd and impact on the black community?
- What are some of the changes you’d like to see most from a systemic point of view?
- What do you think are some actionable steps investors and founders can take to respond to what’s been going on?
To listen more, please visit http://fullratchet.net/podcast-episodes/ for all of our other episodes.
Also, follow us on twitter @TheFullRatchet for updates and more information.