Jim Kim of Builders VC joins Nick to discuss Transformative Tech for Old World Industry. In this episode, we cover:
- Quick Backstory/ Path to founding tech?
- Big news a few years ago that Formation 8 decided not to raise a fund 3. What happened with Formation 8 - why the decision not to raise fund 3?
- Tell us about the thesis at Builders.
- Why do you think these old world industries haven't been re-invented?
- I've worked in some old world industries myself... that move quite slowly. I'm curious if you think the timeline is a bit longer for tech companies to scale in these industries, if, for nothing else than the decision makers are much more methodical?
- What are some of the key technology characteristics you're looking for in the companies you back?
- Aside from technology, what are the other key ingredients your hunting for?
- Vertical integration... building your own brand and own the customer relationship vs. serving many others as a component provider?
- What percentage of your new investments are serial founders vs. first-time and how does your approach differ with each?
- You've stated that "Synthetic biology will be the most important enabling technology of our lifetimes." Why?
- Talk about some exciting innovations in the science and data space and what industries will they be most beneficial to?
- How do you measure success with the companies in your portfolio and how do you help them get to that place?
To listen more, please visit http://fullratchet.net/podcast-episodes/ for all of our other episodes.
Also, follow us on twitter @TheFullRatchet for updates and more information.